There is no Commonwealth criminal injury compensation scheme for victims of Commonwealth crime.

However, as a victim of a Commonwealth crime, you may be eligible to claim for compensation under state and territory compensation schemes. You may also consider whether you want to start civil proceedings to recoup losses you have incurred as a result of the crime.

  • The CDPP is not responsible for civil or compensation proceedings, and cannot provide legal advice in these areas. 
  • Before proceeding with civil or compensation proceedings, you should consider getting independent legal advice in relation to civil or compensation proceedings.

How can I find out if I am eligible for compensation?

Your state and territory legal and victim support services will be able to tell you what they can do to help.

You might also want to get independent legal advice.

  • Please note there may be time limits for starting compensation proceedings.

More information