Court support

Who can I talk to about going to court?

The CDPP prosecutor in charge of your matter is always available to talk to you about going to court. We also have dedicated Witness Assistance officers who can help you with any questions you might have. In some circumstances they are also able to go to court with you.

Can someone come to court with me?

You can take anyone you like to support you in court, except other witnesses in the case.

  • If you need to give evidence in a courtroom you’ll need to sit in the witness box. Your support person is able to sit in the courtroom’s public area to watch. They will have direct line of sight with you, but can’t be with you while you are giving evidence.
  • There may be special support services available to you if you are a vulnerable witness.

More information

Are there services at the court that can help me?

Different courts have dedicated support services to help you. Your CDPP prosecutor may be able to give you advice about available services.

If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander there may be dedicated services at courts to help you. Let us know if you would like more information. Talk to your prosecutor or WAS officer if you would like more information.

I have a disability that may affect my ability to come to court, what should I do?

If you have any sort of disability or special needs that may affect your ability to attend court, or give evidence, please let us know as soon as you can. We will do our best to make suitable arrangements to ensure you are able to attend and give evidence.

Can I get an interpreter to help me understand what is happening?

If you are a victim or a witness to a crime and need an interpreter before and during the court case, your WAS officer or prosecutor can organise this for you.

  • The CDPP is responsible for arranging and funding interpreter services for prosecution witnesses.
  • An interpreter can also help you to write your Victim Impact Statement, go with you to meetings with the CDPP, and in some cases, also go to court to help you.
What costs can I claim when I go to court?

You may be able to claim for travel, lost income and accommodation if you need to stay away from your home to give evidence. Usually the CDPP will help organise and pay for any necessary travel expenses.

  • We can’t provide financial assistance if you are not a victim or witness, and just want to watch a case.
What should I do if I am scared or have concerns for my safety?

If you have any fears or concerns about your immediate safety, or if you experience any form of intimidation, you should contact the police. It is also important to tell your prosecutor if you are afraid of seeing the accused at court, so we can see what assistance we may be able to arrange for you.